TFL Team Meeting - 11/18/2019
- Increase access to and acquisition of assistive technology devices and services so Georgians of all ages and disabilities can live, learn, work and play independently in communities of their choice.
Team Meeting Expectations
1. All TFL team meetings are no/light device meetings. This means using your device professionally, minimally, as an accommodation, or for emergencies.
2. Be mindful of the time you are given for your updates.
3. Provide thoughtful and comprehensive updates to the team. This time is the opportunity for everyone to learn about TFL projects and activities.
TFL Director Updates (Carolyn)
TFL Research Updates (Ben S. & Carolyn)
- Volume 13 has been released. Thank you, again, Tori for all your hard work on this volume! Here’s a link to the Volume 13 web page: https://www.atia.org/atob-volume-13/
- Volume 14 theme will be "Literacy". The paper we submitted, "Does Mastery of AT in High school Impact Post Secondary Performance?" has been accepted for that issue. Release will be mid-2020.
- GA Ed Tech Conf (Nov 6th) in ATL. on Mastery of AT in High school and Post Secondary Performance
- ATIA (Jan 29-Feb 1) - DBHDD Project Poster Presentation and Mastery of AT presentation.
- GSHA (Feb 13-15) DBHDD Project full presentation
- Project closed last week. Team has completed completed work with 21 individuals during the new project launch.
- QUESTION: How to address the few individuals (as many as 6) who were in progress on DBHDD project but not complete?
- We have reached out to Josie Baker, DBHDD Autism Project Coordinator, about revisiting the Autism Crisis Home proposal we submitted this past spring.
What Users of AT Wish Developers Knew About Their Literacy Experiences Project
- "Think Aloud" with students from Howard School was completed Oct 30.
- Transcription of sessions is now in process.
- Next step: working with college students from GA Tech.
Work ACCESS Project (Decision Tree Project)
- Team conducted several expert panels on mobility, workstation accommodation and Cognitive Tools/ Time management in the workplace. More to come in the weeks ahead.
- Thanks to Liz and her team for coordinating captioning services, pulling the expert panels announcements together, and sending them out.
- Working on a pre-conference event at ATIA to tap experts in job accommodation for validation of Work Access project expert panels.
- Requirements document (initial pass) for design & programming of Work ACCESS tool has been circulated.
Other Decision Trees/Algorithum Projects:
- Aging Decision Tree Project (Washington)
- We have reached out to Jeffrey Thompson Director Planning List Systems about collaboration on decision tree for DONR in GA.
Other Research Opportunities:
- In discussions with Tracy Rackensperger (UGA) regarding collaboration on "Creating Opportunity & Independence" (CO&I) Grant (Craig H. Nielsen Foundtn. ~$100K) for development of a training model for individuals with recent Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI).
TFL State Leadership Activities - (Liz)
- Data Reminder: Don't forget to include your presentations, trainings, public awareness, education, etc. in the database each month.
- What Happened
- CDC/EOO AT Lab - 10/16 (Sam, Ciara lead)
- Shepherd Center Visit - 10/28 (Tori, Rachel)
- A Morning with Judy Heumann, International Disability Rights Activist - Tuesday, October 29, 2019
- GATE - exhibitor registration is now open - Sam lead
- List of current exhibitors
- What's Coming up
- Texthelp User Group - 11/12
- CDC Visit - 11/14
- GATE 2019 - 12/6
- TFL policy and procedures - Liz, Sam
- TFL website - Liz, Tori
- ATIA planning is underway! Carolyn, Liz, Tori
- Please include the training team on professional development activities - presentations, trainings, events, tours, demos, visiting other sites, etc.
- ATAP (AT3)
- 2020 contract is in place - webinars, videos, accessible docs
- AT Reuse Activities
- Carolyn, Liz, Danny, others as needed
- Still continue to provide Reuse TA.
- Working with AT3 on TA protocol, etc.
- Disaster Relief Efforts: PIDS - Danny lead, Portal requests - Ciara/Tori
- GTPE UD Video Project
- Liz, Sam, Tori, Raminta
- Writing scripts, Editing videos - almost done!
- Work ACCESS - Decision Tree/AT Software KnowledgeBase
- Carolyn, Liz, Sarah, Ben S., Tori
- Focus groups - we need participants and would like your input on possible candidates
- TechSAge 2 - Training and Outreach
- Carolyn, Liz
- Have you listened to the podcast yet?
- Continue to provide public awareness and education, Planning continues for competition.
- Check out the RERC TechSAge website to learn more.
- GT Wireless RERC - Training and TA
- Carolyn, Liz, Sam, Raminta
- Outreach & Public Awareness ongoing (Sam lead)
TFL K-12 Initiatives and Updates (Gina)
- K-12 Contract – Statement of Work (SOW)
- From CIDI/TFL end is complete – GaDOE/Special Education is pleased with it
- Currently back with Special Education to initiate contract, go through Cabinet, and take to the State Board of Education (SBE)
- Timelines are January 2020 – December 2020
- Components of this contract include:
- Customized, mini AT Training Videos (3-7 minutes each) – 5 videos
- Assistive Technology (AT Consultation Services) – portal to log services and track time
- Assistive Technology Webinar Series – supporting a series that has already been scheduled and marketed
- AT/UDL Software Pilot Program – software for reading, writing & math, possibly accommodation assessment
- Assistive Technology Lending Library
- Discovery Surveys
- EdTrade, Georgia Assistive Technology School Swap Database
- Strategic Roadmaps for future development and operation of
- Expanded UDL/AT Software package
- E-Text delivery program
- District membership for CIDI/TFL services
- K-12 Referrals
- Slow and steady scheduling referrals we have and writing reports
- Regularly getting requests for new evaluations; trying to move towards demonstrations
- K-12 Contract – Statement of Work (SOW)
- Georgia School for the Deaf Contract
- Delay in the Contract
- AAC Assessment
- Two Trainings
- Delay in the Contract
- Preliminary discussions regarding participation in National Science Foundation (NSF) grant. Georgia would be 1/3 states (Kentucky, Georgia, & Michigan). Proposed project – Accessible Online Science Assessment Outcomes for Students with Disabilities - looking at online assessments, embedded tools and impact on student performance.
- AAC Camp – @ Camp Twin Lakes this spring (2020) for a weekend camp for kick-off (Camp Jabberjaw - Mississippi State University is losing funding looking to replicate something like Camp Jabberjaw here in GA)
- CHOA is involved, private individuals – logistics & fundraising to be worked out, but seeming determined to get this off the ground for the spring
- UGA & UWG with SLP Programs
- looking to involve Valdosta, Georgia Southern University Armstrong Campus, & Georgia State SLP Programs
TFL Direct AT Services - AT Access Updates (Martha)
- Device Demos All Centers 10/1/18- Present: 1096
- Device Demo TFL 10/1/18- Present: 212
- Device Loan All Centers 10/1/18-Present: 668
- Device Loan TFL 10/1/18- Present: 364
- Device Reutilization 10/1/18- Present: 7628
- Sal's last day will be this Thursday
- Contract Updates
- 1. DBHDD- Finishing up- received an email last week that work to have had ceased on 11/9
- 2. ADA and workplace assessment with Rome DFAC- Sarah
- 3. Have been meeting with several families for demos- these have take a bit of time as more complex with lots of questions
- 4. Thank you to everyone that attended the Texxthelp training last Tuesday
- 5. SignGlasses demo last Tuesday
- 6. Capti Demo scheduled in December
- 7. University of Hawaii presentation and talk about semester AT course
TFL AT Acquisition Updates (Danny)
Projects: TFL - Activities: Credit-Able, G-Trade, Dollars & Sense, AT Depot Co-op
- One cabinet has been assembled, I'll be organizing items soon
- SLP kits need to be assembled
- Items must still be kept separate, regardless of the status of the DBHDD project. Those items are not property of TFL.
- We will be getting some stickers to put on DBHDD items
- APRIL was a huge success! (Will be in Orlando next year, hopefully Liz will be able to join me) 800+ people in attendance
- tour tomorrow