The Bionic Educator @ UGA Griffin 2013
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tools for Inclusion of All K-12 Students, Part 1: The Evidence
- What happens when the person who needs assistive technology is unable to access it? What happens when someone has the assistive technology they need but doesn't know how to use it? Students with disabilities have a dropout rate twice as high as students without disabilities. The majority of young people with disabilities remain unemployed two years after graduation from high school and have higher rates of incarceration than the general population. Many students encounter roadblocks because of the lack of exposure to training and access to assistive technology. This session will explore the barriers, define successful AT principles, identify resources and begin to explore Tools for Inclusion.
Resources For You!
- Explore the TFL "Our Favorite Apps" Finder Click to go to the TFL App Finder page.
- The Tools for Life AppFinder
- Tools for Inclusion of All K-12 Students, Part 1: The Evidence
Tools for Inclusion of All K-12 Students, Part 2: Solutions
- We are currently experiencing a drastic technology evolution that is revolutionizing the field of Assistive Technology and producing life changing results for individuals with disabilities. Assistive Technology tools have the capacity for increasing a student’s independence, increasing inclusion, promoting depth of learning, and providing equal access in educational settings. Truly promoting inclusion and accommodating students with various types of tools are no longer just ideas. They are reality. This session will explore tools and resources for inclusion that are changing the way students with disabilities live, learn, work & play.
Discovering Personal Genius through Assistive Technology
- This session will explore the collective role each of us play in promoting student success beyond the educational environment and the powerful role of AT in this process. We will examine outcomes that can occur when universal learning design and appropriate assistive technology solutions are integrated into the lives of individuals with disabilities. This session will provide participants with opportunities to explore specific AT strategies and solutions to promote success in the school setting and that can ultimately assist with smooth transitions into the workplace and community.